top of page

CONSTANTINE KLUGE

Constantin Kluge spent his childhood in Asia due to his father’s deployments. It was after his family moved to Manchuria in 1920 that Kluge learned Chinese and first discovered an interest in art. While living in Beijing, Kluge was introduced to a formal art education under the direction of Russian artist Podgursky Chernomyrdin. In 1931 Kluge moved to Paris to continue his education, where he studied architecture at the L’École des Beaux-Arts.  Kluge graduated in 1937 with the title of “French Government Architect”.

When he returned to Shanghai in 1938, Kluge initially took a job as an architect.  However the outbreak of the war halted construction and provided Kluge with the opportunity to spend more time painting. Having held several successful exhibitions in Shanghai, Kluge’s enthusiasm and passion for painting were rekindled.  This lead to his decision to pursue painting full-time.

In 1950, Kluge left Asia and returned to Paris after rumors surfaced that Hong Kong might be subject to an invasion by Chinese Communists. Paris quickly proved to be a successful destination for Kluge, as he won an award at the Paris Salon just one year after his arrival in the City of Lights.  Kluge’s popularity was not only evident through his numerous Salon appearances, but by his participation in prestigious organizations such as the Société des Artistes Français and the Salon des Artistes Francais. During his time in Paris Kluge was honored as a Chevalier of the Legion d’Honneur by President Mitterrand for his services to art.

3993.jpg

"La Place St. Michel" 43" x 53"

bottom of page